|Katamari on the Web · Rules||Help Search Members Calendar|
|Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )||Resend Validation Email|
Posted on: Jun 30 2018, 02:49 AM
[b][color=#0060ff]Run You Clever Boy and Remember...[/color][/b]
Joined: 9-May 18
Legacy Posts: 23,465
Favorite Cousin: Ichigo
Welcome to the Tap My Katamari "Mini" FAQ
Contributors to this FAQ
Reddit Wiki (Presents Section)
Yjk1234 (Builds Section)
About This Game
It's a clicker. What's a clicker you ask? It's a game where the majority of gameplay is you either tapping the screen or clicking a mouse. In this case, it's tapping a screen. This game has very little actual gameplay; clickers are more about management and upgrades. It's an "endless" clicker as well meaning there is no real end to the game. Upgrades and unlocks and "restarts" are what keep the game fresh in a sense. The game is currently available on both iOS and Android. The app does have In-App-Purchases (IAP) in the form of using real money to buy a premium currency called Candy. Candy can also be earned in-game through clicking the King and completion of tasks. You don't actually have to buy any IAP's, the game can be played completely free.
It appears that Tap My Katamari is compatible with most iPhones and iPads, but it has been known to lag on some older devices. iPhone 4 is not supported. The Android version is apparently compatible with Android 4.3 and above.
How Progression Works
The Prince is yet again tasked with rolling a Katamari. This time endlessly. As you tap the screen, you roll a distance. Each level has a set required distance, shown in the blue bar at the top of the screen. The faster you tap, the faster it goes down. Each Stage is broken up into 10 sub-bits. Stage 1-0, Stage 1-1, Stage 1-2, etc. The tenth bit of every stage is a time attack stage. An orange bar will appear beneath the blue bar. Finish the level before the orange timer runs out and you advance to the next stage. 2-1 for example.
You also pick up Coins when you roll things up. Coins are your upgrade currency for the Prince, his abilities and Normal Cousins.
Green Prince Heads are the power of the Prince, how far he rolls per tap. Orange Cousin Heads are the power of the cousins, how far they roll per second. Green Prince and Orange Cousin combined is a multiplier that increases both of them.
After you reach a Prince level of 600, you can exchange your Katamari for a Star. This essentially resets your game, keeping some previously earned/bought bonuses intact, keeping your Presents and Special Cousins intact, and earning you more stars for buying more Presents.
The Prince icon is where you level up the Prince. Tapping consecutively on the upgrade button or simply holding it down will bring up a mini menu to either upgrade max which is all available levels that your coins will let you or all available levels to the next even number, ie 10 or 100. The Prince section is broken up into four sections:
Charge 'n' Roll
Charges the Katamari with an X Green Prince multiplier per Tap.
(Magnetic Heart doesn't do it automatically.)
Unlocked at Prince level 100.
Cooldown 10 minutes.
Automatic X Multiplier Green Prince per Sec. Very useful.
Unlocked at Prince level 300.
Cooldown 30 minutes.
Get X multiplier coins per Tap. Very useful!!
(Magnetic Heart doesn't do it automatically.)
Unlocked at Prince level 500.
Cooldown 1 hour.
Make A Star
Exchange your Katamari for X Stars.
Resets most progress, but awards important upgrade stars for future katamaris.
Unlocked at Prince level 600.
Cousins act as offline players. When you're not playing the game, they'll play for you. The more you upgrade them, the better they'll obviously be. The cousins are broken down into two groups. Normal Cousins and Special Cousins. Normal cousins can be unlocked and upgraded using coins. Special Cousins can only be unlocked and upgraded using candy. As of July 2016 there are five Special Cousins. Normal Cousins are unlocked in a specific order while Special Cousins are random. Special Cousins are also special in that you'll keep them, their levels, and their Mojos, even after you make your next Star. But Special Cousins won't add to your Cousin power per second.
The below table has the Normal Cousins in the order of unlock and the Special Cousins in alphabetical order.
Cousins have Mojos, also known as perks. Mojo's are unlocked at Cousin level's 10/50/100/200/400/800/1600/2000. Normal Cousins' are rolled randomly for each run (IE, before you Make a Star and start over), but Special Cousins' Mojo's stay intact. Mojo's have ranks in the form of Roman Numerals I, II, III, IV, V, and VI. The higher the numeral, the better the Mojo. Mojo's can be swapped out for both Normal and Special cousins but be warned, it costs candy to do so and it's random. When you spend Candy to swap Mojo's, you always get a new one of about the same rank, never lower but occasionally higher, but still it is unwise to swap Normal Cousins' Mojo's unless you're very advanced. Instead, Special Cousins are a great place to spend your Candy. The more Special Cousins you buy, the higher the price goes up.
Here is the list of Mojo's and what they do:
(X is the variable number dependent in the rank of the Mojo)
(Green Princes are the Prince's rolling power per tap, Orange Princes are the Cousins' rolling power per second, and Green and Orange Princes together are a multiplier that increases both.)
Increase Green Princes during Challenges by X %.
Increases Green Princes by X % of Orange Princes.
Increase Green and Orange Princes by X %.
Increases Critical Bonus by X %.
Increase Green Princes by X %.
Increase this Cousins Orange Princes by X %.
Increases the King's Treasure by X %.
Increase coins from objects by X %.
Increases Critical Chance by X %.
Presents add perks to your game in a similar manner that Mojo's add perks to cousins. The presents can be upgraded using the Stars you get from Making a Star. The below list is the level 1 base starting point for each present.
If you tap on a Present that you have, you will be given the option to "return" it. If you return it, you lose the Present and gain upgrade Stars, but it costs Candy.
Source for the following table comes from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/TapMyKatamari/wiki/presents
(This table was current as of about June 2016. The numbers get tweaked sometimes, and new Presents may be added.)
Update to the Presents Section: The Cosmos
In the cosmos section of the Presents menu, there are five legendary presents. They cost stars, lots of stars, to purchase though you don't need to have all the stars at once. You can add stars to the total any time you want.
Cost 3,000 Stars
Start on Stage 45
+575% Bonus Green and Orange Cousins
+30% Special Cousin Mojo
+1150% Bonus Green and Orange Cousins
Cost: 15,000 Stars
+50% Mushroom Power
+1725 Bonus Green and Orange Cousins
Cost: 26,000 Stars
+1% Green and Orange Cousins per Star Spent
+345-% Bonus Green and Orange Cousins
Golden Boxing Gloves
Cost: 30,000 Stars
+5% Object coins per tap
+1150% Bonus Green and Orange Cousins
The Mushroom offers mostly candy purchases.
Watch a video to earn 2x more coins for four hours.
Get X amount of coins instantly for a cost of 50 Candy.
3x coins for four hours for a cost of 50 Candy.
3x Green Prince for 4 hours for a cost of 50 Candy.
2x Orange Cousin for 4 hours for a cost of 50 Candy.
Reset all Prince Abilities for a cost of 15 Candy.
Updated to X amount of Taos per second for 1 minute for 10 candy.
Updated to X amount of stars instant generated for 40 candy.
The Shopping Cart
This menu lets you use real money to buy candy. Current prices listed below are in US Dollar.
$1.99 for 200 Candy
Grow Your Katamari Faster!
$4.99 for 550 Candy
Get 10% More Candy!
$9.99 for 1200 Candy
Get 20% More Candy!
$19.99 for 2600 Candy
Get 30% More Candy!
$49.99 for 7000 Candy
Get 40% More Candy!
Daily Challenges award varying amounts of candy upon completion of the task. Tasks range from earning a certain amount of coins to rolling a certain amount of levels, or even having the King appear a certain number of times. Once a task is completed, a new task will arrive in that slot in eight hours.
The King of All Cosmos sometimes pops in and offers Coin or Candy bonuses. Sometimes he just gives you a smaller reward. Other times he offers a video ad, which you can watch in exchange for a larger reward or refuse to watch.
The Coin rewards can be increased with the Regal Mojo. The Candy rewards can be increased only with the Royal Crown present.
Tips and Tricks
- Don't worry about making mistakes. This game is a marathon, not a sprint. You'll recover from your mistakes.
- You may spend real money to make things easier if you'd like, but if you'd rather you can play and fully enjoy this game without spending money.
- Always tap the King when he appears. Sometimes he will offer a jar of candy via watching an ad. It's usually 10 pieces if the ad is watched. Sometimes he'll offer two pieces just for tapping on him. Either way, make sure you tap on him so you can earn whatever bonus it is he's offering.
- When rerolling a Mojo for 5 Candy, it usually stays the same rank, it sometimes increases by one, and it never decreases, it seems. (But it never goes above VI.)
- When you purchase a Present, the one you get is random. Different people have different opinions on what's the best Present.
- You can actually return a Present. Tap on its name. It costs Candy, and you get returned all the upgrade stars you spent to buy and upgrade it. But if you return a Present that isn't the most recent one you bought, there will be a net loss in upgrade stars out of the deal. Returning a Present will reduce your Present inventory by 1, so the cost of the next one will decrease accordingly. You can eventually re-purchase the Present you returned.
- When you reach Prince level 600 you can make a Star. When you do, be aware that all your progress on that katamari will be lost. But in exchange, you start over with quite a few upgrade stars, which you should spend on buying and upgrading Presents. If you do, then your next katamari will go more easily than the last, and it may make sense to roll the next katamari farther than the last, before you make your next Star.
- Just before you make a Star, buy as many meaningless levels for all of your normal Cousins as you can easily afford. That way you'll get a few more present-buying upgrade stars when you make a Star. And if you haven't been keeping the Prince well-leveled, level the Prince too!! Give the Prince as many levels as you can before making a Star, in that case.
- Your progress becomes slowest the first time through in the Prince level 400-500 range, up until you win the Coin Soul power. But trust me, if you can stick with it, the Coin Soul power helps!! Then progress becomes easier again.
- For the very first run, you can consider using the gold bonus (Royal Mushroom) when it starts to slow down (~Prince level 400). It will save you 12-24 hours of idling.
- You start receiving upgrade stars at round 50, and at every multiple of 10 after that. You may reach Prince level 600 just before you get to round 100. If you are ready to make a Star but you are just about to reach another multiple of 10 round, stick around long enough to hit that next multiple-of-10 round for the extra Star.
- Soon after you start, a good place to put your Candy is into buying Special Cousins. Special Cousins remain totally intact (levels and Mojos) even after making a Star. Then, when you're advanced it's a good idea to reroll Special Cousins' lower-rank Mojos. Rerolling never lowers a Mojo's rank but sometimes ups it by one. And if you'd like you can also reroll Special Cousins' higher-rank Mojos to the specific Mojo types you want for your play style.
- If you level a Cousin far enough, you receive the option to Love the Cousin. It is a huge upgrade to that Cousin's power stat. If that Cousin has a decent Powerful Mojo or two, then they may be well worth leveling for a little while after that Cousin is ready to level up to their Love upgrade.
- Starting with Ryu or Kunihiro or even Dipp if you want, I think it makes sense to take one of a normal Cousin's Mojos (after you unlocked it) and reroll it, trying for Powerful. Maybe even more than one if you're advanced enough in the game. Especially if one of their first Mojos is already an IV or a V or a VI. (But it may end up costing a lot of Candy ...)
- There is apparently a limit to the number of ads the game will allow you to watch for bonuses within a period of time. By the next morning, the limit will have reset and you can watch ads again.
- If you buy new Cousins when you can afford it, and upgrade Cousins to their next Mojo when you can afford it, and keep leveling up the Prince too (when you're not advanced), you should be fine. Buy and upgrade the Prince abilities when you unlock them too.
- But a lot of advanced players like to change things up! Like say if you want to tap more or if you want to idle more and let the Cousins do the work. Or it may even work to prioritize critical hits or King-given Coins or something.
You can change the ratio of Coins you're spending on the Prince versus the Cousins. You can prioritize specific Mojo(s) for Special Cousins. (But don't change normal Cousins' Mojos unless you're extremely advanced, giving Powerful to your most powerful Cousin or something.) You can even try to prioritize Presents that support your favorite play style. (But the order of Presents received is random.)
- When you're far enough into one run (high enough stage number and enough normal Cousin Mojos), it probably makes sense to stop leveling the Prince. Definitely get him to at least level 500 though; maybe at least 600 so you can check how many upgrade stars you'd get if you made a Star. And definitely level him as much as you can just before making a Star, to earn extra upgrade stars. (Then give all the Cousins all the levels you can easily afford too, for the same reason.)
Yjk1234 provided great help when it comes to an active, heavy tapping build: https://www.reddit.com/r/TapMyKatamari/comments/4sdd7y/some_tip/
If anyone knows any more specifics about builds, or wants to correct me, feel free to help!
(Anybody who helps will be given credit.)
(Also feel free to ask us questions here. )
(The official subreddit also has a helpful guide wiki!)
Actually, the subreddit has a much better Q&A than this one:
Making Stars/Optimizing number of upgrade stars
- The first time through, I think it makes sense to make a Star soon after you reach Prince level 600 and gain the ability.
- After that, sticking it out longer before you make a Star really does improve how many you'll receive, more so than you might think, but it's really your choice how far you want to push each time.
- When you are about to make a Star, give all your Cousins as many meaningless levels as you can easily afford. If you weren't keeping the Prince leveled, definitely level him too!
- After making the Star, spend upgrade stars on buying and upgrading Presents! Upgrade stars don't do anything if you don't use them.
- Apparently the White Guitar also increases the amount of Stars you receive (a Present).
- Starting at stage 50, you also receive an upgrade star every 10 stages as you play.
- If you link your game to your facebook account, you can cloud save.
Not getting Coins while offline
- You would only get Coins if enough time passed to roll up an item.
- But it appears this may be a glitch for some players. It may help some people to take the game out of Android memory when done, then fully start it up again when coming back.
King appears during a Magnetic Heart or Coin Soul power-up
- I usually resist tapping him until the last second.
- I typically only start Coin Soul after I get one of the 10s coin bonuses from the King; that way I can double up and not have to worry about missing out on the ability.
- iOS: Settings - Go way down the left list to your apps and find this one. There's a photos option and a notifications option; not sure what the photos option is about.
- Android: Settings - Apps - find this app - Then there's a checkmark near the top of the screen to uncheck or check.
- As of July 2016, there is no way to turn off individual kinds of notifications but leave some on.
Most valuable and upgrade-worthy Presents
- I'd say that the camera and white guitar make two very good first presents. After that it may be open to what kind of play style you like. If you're looking to idle more, the hero scarf. If you want to tap more the champion belt and the sumo suit.
- if you have multiple presents already Cow Bear is a great one to upgrade as it boosts the power of all other presents. I'm torn on the sumo suit, it's just so expensive to upgrade...
Increases in King rewards
- Candies from the King only increase with the present Royal Crown.
- Coins from the King increase with the Regal Mojo, and quite possibly a Present.
What's the time attack reward?
- The time attack is the stage's "boss". Completing it means you can go on to the next stage.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome/repetitive motion wrist issues
- This is not silly at all! The Magnetic Heart ability makes it a lot better at Prince level 300. But then the Coin Soul ability at level 500 makes it worse.
- You can just idle the game for a day or so and come back to a wack load of coins. You can then use these coins to progress fairly quickly for 10 or so stages. Rinse and repeat. There is also a cheap Lazy Mushroom, an auto-tap option in the Mushroom menu. Lasts for 1 minute per use.
- It may help to have the device resting on a surface, and tap with multiple fingers, and use both hands (either separately or at the same time).
Tell me about the music!
- As of July 2016, Tap My Katamari's music consists of two instrumental tracks and two remixes of classic katamari tunes. The Katamari on the Swing remix is sung by Katelyn Isaacson, arranged by Jeremy Lim. The Lonely Rolling Star remix is sung by Jillian Aversa, arranged by Andrew Aversa. It is possible that more classic katamari music may be added in the future.
Thank you to the people who have asked and answered these and other questions. Both the askers and the answerers have aided in the creation of this FAQ.
White Shining Diamond
Meet the Cousins
large images and a video
Official Tap My Katamari artwork
An official trailer
This version of KotW was created on May 9th, 2018.